This monster is a fantastic tasting dish to "heat and eat" when you want a quick meal Its a rich saucy mix full of flavour and is just fine all by itself. You can serve it with things like rice if you like of course, or next to roasted vegetables.
- 2kg Pork Shoulder (skinless and boneless, fat on)
- 340g Passata (don't use tomato sauce, look for Passata which is puree tomato with salt)
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 100g Natvia (Erythritol Sweetener)
- 1tsp chicken stock powder or 1 cube of chicken stock.
- 2tsp dry mustard powder
- 30g Ghee
- 5g Xanthan Gum (thickener)
- 1 bag of Herbies Pork Spice mix (35g) if you cant find this, its hard to substitute, but paprika, cumin, corriander in roughly equal portions to 35g would be near enough.
Step 1: Brown the pork a little in the ghee before adding to the slow cooker. If you bought it rolled (easiest way) unroll it, remove the skin with a sharp knife, and fry it on both sides until a little coloured. Make sure you pour the fat drippings and scrape any pieces of pork of the pan into the slow cooker too. Set the slow cooker on low.
Step 2: In a bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients together.
Step 3: Pour the sauce mixture over the top of the pork, and cover, cook for a minimum of 8 hours, and resist the urge to mix it, we will be breaking the pork up and mix it through the sauce at the end.
Step 4: About an hour before serving, turn off the power and using a spoon or fork, gently break up the pork into large chunks, let it rest for an hour before serving.
This is a "pulled pork" finish, and if I were still eating bread this between two slices of buttered bread or a big roll is heaven. However its just as good in a bowl with some sour cream, or with a side of roast vegetables.